Our client, NASA JPL is looking for a Mechanical Engineer II to be a part of the Project team in Pasadena, CA. In this role you will be responsible in generating 3-D Modeling, design and design updates, and drawings for spacecraft and instrument electronics subsystem and Ground Support Equipment. To be considered for this position you must have a bachelor’s degree in engineering and have at least 3 years in Aerospace/Aviation related design, and fabrication experience utilizing UG/NX.
Location: Pasadena, CA 91109
Position: Mechanical Engineer II
Pay Rate: $58.95 /per hour minimum
Duration: 21 months or longer
Flexible work schedule: 9/80 or 5/40
We do offer paid time offs, holidays, 401k, medical, dental, and vision
Electronic Packaging Engineers at JPL play a central role in every project, large and small. Given the sheer scope and aspirations of our work, you’re always part of “building the impossible.” This unique position lies at the intersection of multi-disciplinary (electrical, mechanical, materials and thermal management engineering) on a complex, one of a kind electronic system. You will be a member of the Electronic Packaging Engineering Group and will report to group supervisor within the JPL’s Electronic Manufacturing, Packaging & Technical Services Section
Some challenges you will tackle:
- Generate 3-D Modeling, design and design updates, and drawings for spacecraft and instrument electronics subsystem and Ground Support Equipment.
- Perform electro-mechanical analyses such as thermal, structural and venting analyses for the subsystem.
- Coordinate, Collaborate and interface with machine shop for delivery of mechanical hardware.
- Partnering, Interfacing and Collaborating with Quality Assurance to develop solutions to resolve discrepancies with hardware fabrication.
- Prepare for technical design and manufacturing status review presentations, and close the reviews action items.
- Lead and present design and analyses reviews such as Peer, Preliminary and Critical design reviews
- May have some interactions with customers or lead own design peer reviews or participate in design reviews.
- May lead assembly and subsystem design in supporting the lead packaging engineer for JPL flight project.
- Work in a collaborative environment to design, analyze, build and test of the electromechanical subsystem or system on JPL flight projects.
- Work independently and under the direction of the group supervisor, product delivery lead, and project management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1year of related experience; PhD with 0 years of related experience.
- Practical experience in using computer aided engineering (CAD) using tools such as Unigraphics NX, Solidworks, AutoCAD.
- Practical experience in packaging thermal and structural analyses using tools such as ANSYS and NASTRAN.
- Extensive knowledge of Standards for Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) per American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Y14.5.
- Extensive knowledge in one or more related fields of the following areas: design of printed wiring boards and electronic enclosure/chassis, manufacturing and assembly of printed wiring boards and cable harnesses.
- Understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in soldering operations, cable assembly and surface mount technology electronics manufacturing.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills and organizational skills.
- Must be able to work in a team environment and meet deadlines.
- Experience and extensive knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
- Broad knowledge in Mechanical Analysis tool (FEM).
- Working knowledge in Unigraphics NX.
- Working Knowledge of the JPL drawing release process and inspection reports.
- Experienced with packaging design, assembly and test.
- Experienced with spacecraft flight hardware development and test.
- Experienced with Printed Wiring Board (PWB) design tools such as Mentor or Altium.
- Desire a candidate who is assertive, self-motivated and can work with minimal direction.
At a minimum, a 7-year background check, education verification, employment verification, and drug screen will be conducted upon hire. Your suitability for employment is contingent upon successfully passing these required pre-employment screenings.
About our client:
Our client is a research and development lab federally funded by NASA and managed by Caltech. Manages many of NASA’s robotic missions exploring Earth, the solar system, and our universe.
This particular client is requiring that all new hires show proof of vaccination. However, accommodations may be made for those with disabilities or religious reasons who cannot obtain a vaccine.
Since 1980 APR Consulting, Inc. has provided professional recruiting and contingent workforce solutions to a diverse mix of clients, industries, and skill sets nationwide.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity! If you feel your experience is the match for this position please apply today and join our team. We look forward to working with you!